Friday, January 2

We're Engaged!!!


Yay, we are engaged! What a wonderful and memorable time we had on New Years Eve. David proved to me that he could be a planner too and really knocked my socks off with the proposal. Let's revisit how it all went down...

New Years Eve we got all dressed up and headed out for a fun night. First stop was Wild Ginger for a yummy dinner. Then we headed next door to Benaroya Hall for a fun night with the Seattle Symphony and Seahawks Blue Thunder before a countdown to 2009.

After the concert was over, everyone emptied out into the lobby for champagne and dancing and after my search for "Happy New Year" hats proved unsuccessful, David suggested we go in search of meeting up with "a friend of a friend" that works at Benaroya and could show us around backstage. Some calls were made, hats magically appeared and we were then whisked off by an usher toward the backstage area. Here we meet up with Joe, and he starts touring us around backstage, explaining the soundproofing, showing us the big doors to the stage, and then we go out onto the stage. Joe leaves to "get that phone" and mostly closes the side door (I am thinking that is strange but think too much about it) and then the lights came on around the stage. Beautiful red on the organ, blue and white snowflakes all around, and the wreath was lit up.

I was in awe of how beautiful it was, taking it all in and also not believing that I was standing on the stage at Benaroya when I turn around and David is on one knee holding out a ring. Then a violinist began playing in the box close to us and I was speechless. Apparently my jaw dropped quite a bit as well! I can't really remember all of what David said to me, but he put the ring on my finger and shortly thereafter had to confirm "so is that a yes?" and of course it was a Yes! :)

We got a few minutes on stage together listening to the beautiful music being played just for us and then Joe conveniently reappeared and very kindly took some pictures for us. After that, Joe took us to meet Maestro Gerard Schwarz, where he shared champagne with us, and he and his friends congratulated us and asked all kinds of questions! It was all so amazing!

But it doesn't end there. David was also very thoughtful and had arranged for us to stay at Hotel Andra for the night. He had checked in earlier in the day and packed a bag for me on the sly. We had a great breakfast in our room (their fresh made doughnuts with marscapone were divine!) while making phone calls to our families and sharing the great news.

I am usually a super sleuth for these types of things so David did a great job with all of this planning and surprising me with every little detail! From start to finish he made this a very memorable experience for both of us. I not only feel like the luckiest girl in the world and I have been grinning ear to ear for many hours now and am not sure it is going to stop anytime soon! David is the most amazing person to have ever come into my life and I am looking forward to sharing many, many more years with him!

~Heather :)

5 comments:

Laurie said...

I love my PIC and future PIC-in-law! Does this mean that I can technically be the one to give you away, since technically you're breaking my betrothal to Heather??

Marcy and Vince said...

Now THAT'S and engagement story!What an awesome night!

Congrats!

Christie-Off the Beat(en) Pad said...

I am so happy for you guys! David you've done right! :)

Unknown said...

Aaaawwww - man, I'm such a sweetheart! It's a fun story to tell and to read from my sweetheart's perspective.

Unknown said...

Congrats guys! I'm excited for you both!