Saturday, May 9

Cake Decorating Classes

Along the same lines as bunny cake, my mom would decorate some great cakes for us when I was younger. Obviously the time it takes, the number of supplies, etc. catches up with anyone with other demands such as a family and a full-time job so it tapered off over time. I've wanted to learn, not because I want to become a professional cake decorator, but just so I can have some fun and usable skills to add to the baking that I already love to do!

Fast forward to Wilton Cake Decorating Course 1 at Joann Fabrics. Class lasted for three weeks on Mondays and here are the results. First off is the "naked cake" as I like to call it - the nice, very smooth white frosting on the cake. The cake is now ready to be decorated. Our instructor gave us a great tip - bake two rounds, frost and then bring one each of the last two weeks of class. That really helped keep me from being in the kitchen even more than I already was during the few weeks of class! Next up is the rainbow cake that was done in class for week 2. Last, but not least, is the rose cake that was done in week 3.


Now, I have to admit. Being crafty and all is fun for me but I wasn't sure how this cake decorating thing would turn out. After all, I use rubber stamps on my cards instead of free-hand drawing things for a reason. I have surprised myself with this and while I still have a lot to learn and a lot of practicing to do, it has been fun already! :)

No comments: